Key Asbestos LegislationThe Control of Asbestos Regulations are there to help prevent contractors or maintenance staff from working on asbestos containing materials (ACM’s) without knowing. I.E.
- The property owner should be managing their asbestos correctly
- An Asbestos Refurbishment & Demolition Survey should be carried out on the work area before any destructive works commence
- Contractors or maintenance staff should have received asbestos awareness training so that they have an understanding of the risks and are better able to recognise typical ACM’s
- They should be told were the asbestos is in the property so that they can avoid it
- If they need to work with or disturb asbestos then they must have received appropriate training for the task
Prior knowledge allows them to take the necessary precautions to protect themselves and to protect others by not contaminating the area.